The Big Step

It is a big week for mezzo-soprano Crystal Jarrell. A former Ensemble member, she just packed up her costume after months of touring and is now making her debut as a San Diego Opera mainstage artist as Countess Ceprano in Rigoletto. Faced with a hectic week of 'goodbyes' as well as "hellos' she somehow found the time to sit down and write a few thoughts about this period of transition in the life of a professional opera singer.

Here's what she had to say:

This is an exciting week for me as it represents something big. This week I am making the transition. Our San Diego Opera Ensemble touring productions have just come to a close, and rehearsals for my first main stage production as a principal artist with SDO have begun. This is a critical point in my career and one that I am savoring every moment of.

Last week I was Febreezing my Cosi costume wishing it weren't such a beautiful antique that it could have been dry cleaned at some point during the 6 month tour. I was answering the eager questions of 5th graders as to how we became awesome (seriously!), and enjoying every second of the thrilling Mozart ensembles with my fantastic colleagues and friends. I was a part of an incredible outreach program- one of the best in the country- impacting many many young lives with an experience they will not soon forget.

Well this week I am still enjoying thrilling ensembles, but from a slightly different vantage point. I am watching in amazement from the sidelines of Rigoletto rehearsals as some of the most incredible voices I have ever heard live are barely five feet from where I sit. Now I am the one asking eager questions of the other principal artists in the Rigoletto cast- yes, about how they became awesome! And for two brief scenes I am taking the stage with them. What an honor.

This week represents a great stepping stone. I have learned a great deal already through my experiences with San Diego Opera, but I am also aware that I have so much to learn still. It represents the end of my outreach career and the beginning of the next chapter. Thank you Dr. Nick for taking a chance on me and for investing in me. Thank you Cynthia for inspiring me and believing in me. And thank you Ian for trusting me with more. I can't wait to see what lies ahead!

***

Neither can we. One thing is for certain, we're going to have one awesome Countess Ceprano when Rigoletto opens next week.
-- Edward

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Are You Listening To This Weekend?

10 Interesting Facts About Faust

Five Things About La boheme You Don't Need To Know But Will Be Glad You Did