Super Opera Bowl

We here at Aria Serious sometimes feel we're always at work because opera shows up in some of the most unexpected places.

Take last Sunday for example; comfortably ensconced on the couch, dogs asleep at my feet, ice cold beer within reach, a heaping plate of soy chorizo nachos on my lap, the big game on the TV when all of the sudden, bam, you guessed it -- opera starts playing in a commercial.

"Hey, you should blog about," suggested my wife.

And she's right.

Opera showed up in two Superbowl commercials which I find somewhat strange. I mean, when you're paying $3 million for 30 seconds of air time, it seems strange to use opera as your background music considering your viewers are not typically an opera going crowd. But there is something to be said about the timelessness of opera, and the fact it is so ingrained in our consciousness that it is instantly recognizable even if you've never seen an opera before.

I've put the two ads below.

The first, from Monster.com, is quite wonderful.

The second, from Doritos, is not; mostly because my nacho chips didn't have any magical powers, even after five or six beers.

Eh, you win some and you lose some.

Enjoy!

-- Edward




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Are You Listening To This Weekend?

10 Interesting Facts About Faust

Five Things About La boheme You Don't Need To Know But Will Be Glad You Did